You can go dropping a large chunk of your salary on every grooming product that starts trending like a sneakerhead eagerly waiting to splurge on Air Jordans and Yeezys.
But if you really want your tech-weary face to bear the signs of youthfulness, you need to learn or at least be in the know of a few skincare tips and tricks.
Now, before you overthink it and conclude that skincare is too much work for you, let me clarify that any man capable of mixing up the right proportions of liquor, lemon and syrup for a whiskey sour can easily make younger-looking skin his reality.
With that in mind, here’s a compilation of many, many insider tips on how to glow. Even if you pick five, you’re good to go, but picture the chain of complements if you keep up with all of these.
Skin Care Tips For Glowing Skin
1. Hang your head upside down for precisely three minutes a day—not more, not less—to get a lit-from-within glow. It increases blood flow and oxygen to your face.
2. Make a paste of avocado, yoghurt and honey and apply it for 20 minutes, at least once a week to give your skin its weekly dose of B vitamins and fatty acids.
3. Think of toner as a glass of water for your skin and use it before applying serum or moisturiser. This extra layer of hydration will help serum and moisturiser penetrate deeper.
4. Apply five-six drops of vitamin C serum underneath sunscreen each morning to help lighten dark spots and even out your skin tone.
5. Trade your face scrub for a chemical exfoliator—a peel or serum that contains AHAs, BHAs or PHAs—to encourage the creation of new collagen.
6. Go on a sheet mask binge. Apply one each day. It will have a compounding effect of hydrating and smoothening and deliver a crazy glow by the end of the week.
7. Take marine collagen daily for quicker results, but if you’re vegan and have some time, you can go for plant-based collagen builders.
8. Use vitamin A and E-rich rosehip oil serum to boost collagen.
9. Invest in honey-based skincare for smoother and fully-hydrated skin.
10. Make oats, yoghurt and lemon face mask for a clearer and brighter complexion.
Skin Care Tips For Younger-Looking Skin
11. A two-minute face massage can instantly help you look alive, as well as a firm over time.
12. If your skincare isn’t cutting it, you can easily fake the age by applying a BB cream. Go for one shade lighter. Mix a couple of shades if you have to.
13. Use cold water, ice cube, jade roller (keep it in the freezer for half an hour before massaging) or cooling gel to instantly de-puff your face and increase blood flow. Your skin pores will reward you by shrinking themselves.
14. Unwrinkle the area around your eyes with the help of undereye creams and eye masks because those babies talk about your age the loudest.
15. For instant results, dab some natural lip balm on the inner corner of your eyes.
16. Adding a few drops of cinnamon oil to your lip balm will give your lips some plumpness.
17. Include more vitamin A in your diet and skincare. It keeps your skin from photo-ageing.
18. Don’t skip your post-workout showers. Washing your face after a workout helps keep dead skin and other grime from settling into your pores, making them appear larger and your skin older.
19. Add omega-3-rich seeds—flaxseeds and chia seeds—or supplements to your diet. It’s a key component of cell membranes and your body needs omega-3 to renew your skin cells.
20. Heard of pre-and-probiotic benefits? Skin health is directly connected to their digestion. If you restore healthy gut bacteria by consuming gut-friendly food, skin often improves naturally.
Skin Care Tips For Acne
21. If your skin feels oily, choose products with salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide or glycolic acid.
22. For sensitive skin, look for cleansers with lactic acid or hydrating ingredients like glycerin. They are gentle and not as drying as those made for oily skin types.
23. Use a concealer to hide dark spots, dark circles and acne scars until they heal fully.
24. Look for oil-free and non-comedogenic sunscreen formulas that won’t clog your skin pores.
25. Clean your phone screen daily with an alcohol wipe or steriliser. That thing has a lot of germs. Use speakers or headphones whenever possible so your phone isn’t resting on your face as often.
26. Cover-up zits with hydrocolloid pimple patches to treat acne overnight.
27. Other than keeping your face clean and moisturised, ice the acne-affected area to bring the swelling down. Wrap an ice cube or a cold compress in a soft cloth and apply it to your zit for 20-30 seconds at a time, a few times a day.
28. Limit your sugar intake. Several studies have shown that foods with a high glycemic index may be linked with acne. A 2009 study found that a low-glycemic diet not only helps with weight loss but also reduces acne.
29. Dilute apple cider vinegar with water and apply it to the affected area with cotton, twice a day for 5-10 seconds.
30. Take a zinc supplement. It’s one of the natural treatments for acne as zinc is important for cell growth, hormone production, metabolism and immune function. The recommended safe upper limit of zinc is 40 mg per day.
Skin Care Tips For Oily Skin
31. Look for witch hazel-infused skincare. It contains naturally potent anti-inflammatories and gently shrinks your pores. It’s a helpful acne-treating tonic for men with oily skin, in particular.
32. Clay masks are a popular treatment for oily skin as they’re quick to absorb.
33. Egg whites and lemons can help tighten pores. The acid in lemons may help absorb oil. So make a paste and mask up. Rinse with lukewarm water after it dries.
34. Exfoliate your skin with a paste of ground almonds and honey. After massaging it for a couple of minutes, leave the mask on the skin for 15-20 minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water.
35. Apply tomato and sugar mask for 5 minutes, a couple of times a week. Tomatoes contain salicylic acid, a common treatment for clogged pores and oily skin.
36. Milk is an excellent oil-free cleanser. If you’re not sure about your face wash, wash your face with milk to avoid the pores from getting clogged with sebum or oil.
37. Avoid oil-based and alcohol-based skin care products as they can irritate your skin.
38. Do not sleep with any kind of makeup on. Use micellar water to remove your BB cream or concealer stick.
39. Deeply de-tan and detoxify your skin from time to time with charcoal and a green tea sheet mask.
40. Use a superlight, non-greasy moisturising formula.
Skin Care Tips For Dry Skin
41. Use cold or lukewarm water during showers. Stay away from hot water. It can strip your skin of essential oils, which further leads to drier skin.
42. Look for hyaluronic acid-based skincare formulas to lock in the moisture.
43. Apply moisturiser on your damp skin after a shower. This allows skincare ingredients to penetrate the skin’s surface.
44. Facial oils contain a mixture of plant oils that have antioxidant properties and hydrate the skin. Apply 4-5 drops of facial oil after the moisturiser to get a dewy look.
45. Use a hydrating face mist whenever your skin needs a little pick-me-up.
46. Go for an oatmeal moisturiser whenever possible as it helps soothe and calm irritated and inflamed skin and also protects the skin from UV rays and redness.
47. Skip anti-ageing products. They aren’t formulated for dry skin. If you have to use any, ensure they don’t contain retinoids or AHAs as they may irritate your skin.
48. Mash half a banana and apply it to your face or use a readymade banana mask for extra hydration.
49. After wearing your moisturiser, add a layer of petroleum jelly to trap the moisture underneath.
50. If nothing else seems to work for you, simply look for papaya-based skincare products. They’ll keep your skin healthy, nourished and glowing and soothe sunburn and inflammation.
Skin Care Tips For Sensitive Skin
51. Look for skincare products free from fragrances and paraben preservatives, two common causes of irritated skin and flare-ups.
52. Stick to hypoallergenic, mild or gentle ingredients that can strengthen the skin’s lipid barrier, like hyaluronic acid, olive oil, sunflower seed oil, coconut oil, aloe vera, chamomile, vitamin E and shea butter.
53. Yogurt-oatmeal homemade face mask is perfect for sensitive skin types. They gently remove the dead cells and tan without stripping off moisture.
54. Keep your skincare routine simple—cleanser, serum, moisturiser and sunscreen— don’t complicate it with a 10-step routine.
55. Include amla in your diet or skincare routine. Indian gooseberry is a rich source of vitamin C. Stick to eating one amla a day to give your skin some extra nourishment.
56. Add cocoa powder to your face masks to tighten and brighten your skin. It helps ease the appearance of cellulite too.
57. Mix baking soda with coconut water and apply it to your sensitive skin. It helps balance the pH of the skin and reduces rashes and inflammation. Coconut water and baking soda together can soothe your skin and help reduce sunburn.
58. Use potato juice, honey and milk mask thrice a week.
59. Drink warm turmeric milk daily before going to bed. It’s not only good for your overall health but also solves multiple problems for sensitive skin.
60. Use essential oils instead of perfumes.
Skin Care Tips For Summer
61. For those who get acne after eating a few mangoes in the summer season, go for mango-based products. They are highly nourishing and hydrating.
62. Switch to gel-based products or lightweight formula if your regular skincare is making you sweat.
63. Apply coconut water to the face and leave it for 20-30 minutes daily. This will cleanse, refresh and soothe the skin. Coconut water is sterile and contains vitamins, minerals, amino acids and enzymes for nourishment.
64. Drink aloe vera juice or apply aloe daily to stimulate new cell growth and soothe and moisturise the skin without clogging pores.
65. Give your face an almond oil massage using a stone roller. Motion it from inwards to outwards and bottom to top on different areas of the face. Use short motions without moving in the opposite direction and do so with light pressure for 10 minutes.
66. Use an orange peel face mask at least once a week. Dehydrate orange peels for 2-3 days in the sun. Make a powder and mix it with milk. Massage it on your face and neck and leave it for 20 minutes.
67. Keep a face mist handy and spray it whenever your face feels dull, dry or hot. Do bot rub afterwards.
68. Go for light makeup.
69. Hydrate from the inside out. Do not entirely rely on skincare products to give you the dewy look. Drink enough water, including vitamin C, avocado and melons in your diet.
70. Use sunscreen without a miss. But if you ever forget your SPF and get a sunburn, treat it immediately with calming ingredients like aloe vera.
Skin Care Tips For Winter
71. Mix glycerin and lemon juice in a bottle and apply it daily to your face before going to bed.
72. Don’t use the heater too much and if you do, also use a humidifier.
73. Stick to dermatologist-approved, moisture-locking ingredients like ceramides, glycerin and hyaluronic acid.
74. Do not wear wet or sweaty clothes for long periods. It can cause itchiness.
75. Your skin is extra dry in winters so go for a professional facial every once in a while.
76. Apply jojoba, olive, mustard or coconut oil on your full body, right after the shower while you’re in the bathroom.
77. Or take an oil massage at least 10 to 30 minutes before your bath.
78. Do not drink yourself dry. Alcohol is highly dehydrating and also increases inflammation in the skin and worsens many skin diseases, such as eczema, psoriasis and rosacea. That’s the last thing you need in winter.
79. Cinnamon and honey face mask is the best for cold weather. Honey moisturises your skin and cinnamon extracts dirt and improves capillary circulation.
80. Use banana-based skincare products for intense hydration.
Skin Care Tips For Groom
81. Ditch your bar soap and switch to fragrance-free face wash. Soap bar makes your skin dull.
82. Get your beauty sleep. You don’t get to skip it just because you’re a man.
83. Try a new hydrating sheet mask every day. Hopefully, your skin will shine brighter than the bride’s.
84. Avoid eating junk for a few days. Eat your vitamins instead as supplements or colourful fruits and vegetables.
85. Take out 20-25 minutes daily to do yoga for glowing skin.
86. Don’t shy away from manicures and pedicures.
87. Do not experiment with newer products. Stick to what works for you and rely on natural products if you don’t wish to entertain last-minute skin reactions or acne.
88. If you can already see acne developing, do not pop it. Instead, use pimple patches to conceal and heal them.
89. Go ahead and get facials done every week.
90. Pay attention to your teeth and bad breath. Most men forget about it until the last day.
Eye Care, Lip Care, Hand Care & Foot Care
91. Wear sunglasses whenever you move out to protect your eyes and skin around them.
92. Avoid licking your lips, regardless of how dry they feel. Licking sore lips can exacerbate dryness and cause what is referred to as ‘lick eczema’.
93. Most of us are in a habit of constantly washing hands. Avoid using wipes for this purpose over and over again as it can trigger hand eczema. Simply wash your hands and apply hand cream.
94. Take half a bucket of warm water every Sunday. Add carrier oil and essential oil to it along with some salt. Soak your feet for 30-45 minutes depending on the water’s temperature. Scrub the dead skin away from your heals and moisturise your feet immediately after pat drying.
95. If you wish to keep looking young, invest in undereye skincare products immediately.
96. Apply a lip mask once a week to avoid chapped, smoker’s lips (regardless of whether or not you smoke).
97. Never wash your hands with hot water, it further strips your skin of moisture. Also, switch to handmade soaps.
98. Moisturise your feet at night to prevent them from itching and cracking.
99. Use potato juice to get rid of puffy eyes and dark circles.
100. To make your lips appear irresistible, apply a lip balm with essential oils regularly.
There are plenty of simple ways to keep your skin from going to the extremes—too dry, too dull, too oily or premature ageing. See whatever is easily doable for you. Try it for a month to see significant results and then, decide whether or not you wish to go ahead with a particular skincare tip.